Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Wait

There should be a word
For the sound of waiting, and hesitating
Here.
Standing, waiting here where I
knew that I would be.
See, you didn't just have me at hello.
You had me at
front-row silence, slow-smile, cue-the-background-music
contact.
I don't remember when we first met
and yet I'm sure it was uneventful
because here I am, still waiting.

But you only wait and hesitate for the things
you really want.
You wait for meteor showers on cool summer nights
and your long lost lover on moonlit streets
and the sound of rain after a bone-dry drought,
You wait.

You are lump-in-the-back-of-the-throat,
You are finger-tapping and shaking-knee,
I want you to know all of me...
You are that type of waiting.

And I have waited.
It has been nearly six years.
I am tired of settling for less than I think I deserve,
and Honey...you are far from settling.
You are worth waiting for.
I hope you feel the same.
Please don't blame me for counting the moments before
you look away,
I'm just waiting...wondering when exactly I want to say...
I'm waiting for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment