Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Memories



I wish I could forget
The way you hold your head
In dappled sunlight,
Wide smile splitting the rays with beams,
It seems I am too much
or too little
or not enough
to fully find you
in a half-hearted, half-empty tragedy.

I wish I could forget the times
You sat down to find
        me crying, hiding tears in the folds of hands
and I wish I could forget
The warmth of your laugh
on Sunday afternoons, drowning out
the cicadas with its air of intensity.

You don't deserve it,
This time-honored, sepia-toned droning
in my head.
Instead, you deserve to be
set out to sea, free
Never to see me,
That fickle friend, never lover,
The dreamer yet always the diver,
The one who took the fall
and you didn't catch.
Instead, you deserve to be
forgotten.

I want you to remember me,
Immortalize every fallen tear,
The sear of my hand on your shoulder,
The way you should have thought, "I want to hold her."
and battled the fear 
of remembering when and where
and who and how
this started,
I want you to remember.

But it seems
You are the one forgetting,
My tired eyes and hopeful tries
To attest to and win,
more lose some than winsome,
that distant friend.
And I, I the one who remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment